Monday, February 18, 2008

60 years to make a man

Andre Malraux, the famed French writer, adventurer, politician, minister of culture, and art critic, once wrote: "It takes sixty years to make a man" (from La Condition humaine/Man's fate). I laughed it off when I first read that at age... 14?... or so.
At 20, I knew that indeed, by then,I knew it all, and Malraux' words were old geezer's radotage (blabbering).
At 30 years of age, that time, yeap, that was for sure, job, marriage, kids behind me or just around the corner, no doubt, I knew life.
At 40, with a few punches all over (thanks, Life!), that had to be it, then?
Well, at 50, I know better.... and I wait, somewhat fearfully... Buying sympathy cards in bulk for the dead's spouses, families, and friends, for the injured, the sick, the accident victims, the friends of those who get murdered on US campuses or in wars, the drunk kids in car accidents, the victims of the serial and mass murderers who end up clipping your world as they kill anyone who passes by, etc..

And so I await with stoicism and philosophie as I sense that Malraux was right... and that in fact, with the advance of medicine, progress, etc.. his 60 might be my 70 or 75 and by then, you .... start burying your own friends??

Anyway, got it, Ann-Dray, I suspect it does indeed take 60 years to make a man (he meant "human being", ladies, don't start the gender issue, now is not the time..)

He knew a few thigns, that old dude....

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home