Friday, June 13, 2008

Big Words, No Scare

Don't let big words scare you. On the results of a medical exam I just had (MRA, i.e., an MRI of the cerebral arteries), I see "slow flow lesion"... So, of course, I stop walking right there to read more and the rest (I'll spare you the filler) says "consistent with a venous angioma", which is basically a vein with an extra thickness, a bit like a birthmark on your skin, and this thing is probably from birth, so we've been together for a long time. (Yes, it could get worse with time, or prolonged stress, or whatever else, but so can anything or body part, even healthy and perfect from birth...)

That's why they let your docs see these reports first before you do. It is a long story as to how I got it before the doc (because the one I saw first is a horse's patoote (businessman, ambulance chaser, probably ready to shave my head and go in to get himself that boat or the newer car he must want to impress the neighbors and colleagues/rivals) and I am seeing another one for a better, trustworthy, or legally: ""second", opinion...)

And anyway, I do speak Greek --er.. ancient Greek-- which allows me to read all those big words and not be scared of them...

It's a bit like when you read on a classy joint's menu "champignons sur canape" everybody knows that "champignons" is mushrooms and "canape" is a couch, the whole thing sounds high class and luxurious, alluding to even eating mushrooms on a couch, probably a la Roman Orgy, etc.. But in culinary terms, "canape" means a bed -- in this case: of bread... You are going to eat mushrooms (in sauce, of course) on a slice of bread. Sounds rather plain, doesn't it? But "champignons sur canape"... ah, that is immediately mouth watering, decadent, rich, opulent, classy, five stars, etc..

"Lesion" means abnormality, even if minor (hey, I got a busy head, OK?), and "angioma" means more or less the same.
Hopefully, these are NOT famous last words....

More later when I see the next expert who hopefully is not desperate for a newer car or bigger boat.....

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home